The Deputy Vice President (DVP) of Philanthropic Partnerships will be responsible for creating and implementing a fundraising strategy to meet the unrestricted foundation fundraising goal for the organization.
The DVP is charged with cultivating and stewarding relationships with key foundations, leaders, and partners in the philanthropic sector; developing and engaging new foundation partners; leveraging existing relationships to advance our visibility and elevate our impact in the Latino community; analyzing trends in nonprofit funding and philanthropy and recommending new strategies and initiatives to grow and/or deepen foundation support and investment in the organization.
The DVP is responsible for meeting fundraising goals for the year and works closely with the Vice President of Development to support fundraising for specific campaigns or special projects, as needed. This individual will be a proactive fundraiser with progressive and successful development experience, particularly working with major national foundations as well as large and mid-size regional foundations and their senior executives. The ideal candidate will be a results-oriented, mission-driven individual who works well in a team; a creative and innovative thinker; an effective collaborator; and some who can lead across teams and components as needed.
The DVP will also participate and contribute as an UnidosUS thought leader and advocate for greater investment from philanthropy to the Latino community. This individual will work closely with the SVP of External Affairs and VP of Development to position UnidosUS as an influencer in philanthropy and as an influencer in the movement calling for greater commitment and investment in the Latino community.
Success in this role requires adept leadership working independently and in teams; expert knowledge of the philanthropic sector’s culture, development cycles, leadership, and networks; effective communications and relationship cultivation with funders/donors/partners; and the ability to advance strategic relationships. Strong technical knowledge of foundation grant processes and cycles, technology platforms and writing commonly used by foundations, transparency in operations and procedures, and high value on accurate data and analysis are also critical to the DVP’s success.
- Lead the development of an institutional strategy for Foundation fundraising (unrestricted and overall), leveraging partnerships with institutional leaders and colleagues to maximize our impact in both fundraising and as an influencer in the philanthropic sector.
- Lead and manage, solicit, and steward a portfolio of existing and prospective foundation partners to reach fundraising goals; FY23 Goal is $1.1M.
- Manage and support Leadership meetings and visits including pre-visit research and strategy, follow-up, documentation, and stewardship.
- Identify, qualify, cultivate, solicit, steward, track, and engage UnidosUS foundation funders.
- Monitor and report regularly on fundraising progress.
- Manage a foundation’s funder portfolio that includes cultivating and managing/growing existing relationships and successfully developing new ones.
- Review and participate in the development of all major Foundation (unrestricted) proposals and grants submitted.
- Manage foundation fundraising systems including funder/donor records, data collections and analytics, database administration, component procedures, and operations management, and financial/gift reporting.
- Ensure the highest standards of fiscal responsibility, data integrity, and fundraising best practices.
- Participate in Development Team budget planning and strategic planning processes and help set fundraising targets, including developing and monitoring revenue goals and budgets with key managers, and work with component and Fundraising leadership to set, meet, and adjust goals/targets as needed.
- Design and implement growth and retention strategies with existing funders/donors.
- Maintain current knowledge of fundraising/giving trends and legislation that impacts the field of philanthropy and community foundations (i.e., nonprofit giving, racial equity commitments, DEI).
- Develop, plan, and execute fundraising, funder/donor recognition, and special events (i.e., peer-to-peer campaigns, signature events, donor events/Unidos y Adelante, Board engagement, etc.).
- Manage relationships with partner organizations, alumni, Affiliates, and others to leverage connections and continue to build the UnidosUS Foundations prospect pipeline.
- Collaborate with the Development and Marketing teams to promote UnidosUS’ role and influence in philanthropy as appropriate.
- Develop and inspire effective fundraising tools (proposals, agreements, reports), collateral materials, communications (website, newsletters, social media), event/campaign programs, and other necessary resources to support major gifts, grants, planned giving, campaigns, events, and other efforts.
- Effectively communicate, both orally and in writing, internally as well as externally, with the ability to influence and engage a wide range of foundations and philanthropic leaders and build long-term relationships.
- Support the VP of Development in providing management support to the RD team, in alignment with UnidosUS’s mission, purpose, and institutional priorities.
- Lead the RD team to ensure revenue growth through a strategic fundraising program that achieves foundation, corporate, individual, and other fundraising goals.
- Attract, develop, coach, and retain high-performing team members and consultants/partners, as appropriate.
- Support and enhance foundation fundraising skills throughout the organization.
- Work with established partners to promote and expand fundraising activities to support the organization.
- Work with Development leadership and team to advise on the development of broad-scale institutional communications that can be leveraged for fundraising (i.e., annual report, signature event programs, institutional videos, blog posts).
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field required, master’s degree preferred.
- Minimum of ten (10) years of relevant experience preferred/required in fundraising (general support, philanthropy, and campaigns preferred), and partnership management.
- Minimum of ten (10) years of supervisory experience required.
- Experience building a fundraising strategy that thoughtfully blends mission, branding, marketing, and fundraising to achieve organizational goals.
- Knowledge and experience fundraising from private national and regional foundations.
- Strong knowledge base around the principles, ethics, tools, networks, and best practices of nonprofit, equitable, and impact-driven fundraising.
- Proven ability to direct, lead, coach, and mentor team in achieving organizational goals.
- Expert knowledge of fundraising cycle and moves management.
- Demonstrated success in leading major fundraising initiatives or comparable activities.
- Strong public and persuasive presentation skills in one-on-one, small- and large-
- group settings.
- Experience with CRM database platforms, with a preference for Blackbaud.
- Demonstrated ability to see the big picture while remaining grounded in the day-to-day execution of tasks and responsibilities.
- High energy, along with a strategic mindset, and an ability to adapt to changing environments.
- Proven experience balancing big-picture strategy and managing detailed execution with a high degree of accountability.
Skills & Abilities
- Steadfast commitment to UnidosUS mission, vision, and values of (Excellent, Accountability, Respeto.)
- Commitment to the U.S. Latino community, Latino nonprofit organizations, and the Latino market.
- Demonstrated experience working in nonprofits, community-based organizations, and diverse communities.
- Excellent strategic thinking and problem-solving skills, with attention to detail and follow-through.
- Achievement oriented; shows initiative and enthusiasm while demonstrating uncompromising responsibility, courage, and self-confidence, even in the face of difficulties.
- Goals and results-driven, must have excellent relationship and communication skills, both oral and written. Proven track record of raising significant dollars.
- Ability to collaborate and connect with a wide range of funders/donors, partners, Affiliates, allies, staff, and other key stakeholders.
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
- Commitment to excellence and high
- Ability to work independently and as a member of various teams and
- Advanced proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite more specifically, Office 365.
- Acute attention to detail.
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) skills are a plus.