The Senior Strategist for Education Policy is responsible for shaping and executing efforts to advance UnidosUS’s state education policy agenda.
The Senior Strategist will collaborate with state policy teams to identify opportunities in each organizational priority state (currently Arizona, California, Florida, and Texas) and work closely with the education and state policy teams on the strategy and implementation of education issue campaigns. Responsibilities include contributing to policy ideation and advocacy strategy across the K-12 education portfolio and supporting state policy teams in strategically building out early childhood and higher education policy portfolios at the state level. Success in this role requires strong organizational and communication skills, as well as a demonstrated ability to prioritize tasks and handle simultaneous requests and facilitate multilevel collaboration.
The Senior Strategist will report to the Director of Education Policy. The position can be based in our Washington, DC, headquarters or one of our priority states (Phoenix, Arizona, Los Angeles, California, Miami, Florida, and San Antonio, Texas.) The position requires travel to include annual UnidosUS events.
- In consultation with the Director of Education Policy and state policy leads, manage the development and execution of education state advocacy campaigns, and maximize outcomes by leveraging institutional assets and cross-team collaboration.
- Build and sustain key partnerships, including civil rights organizations, that share the organization’s education advocacy goals and objectives and represent UnidosUS at coalition tables.
- Provide education issue expertise to the state and education policy teams.
- Track state policy efforts, identify emerging issues and trends, develop intervention strategies, define strategic campaign priorities, and shape field campaigns.
- Develop effective state tracking and reporting mechanisms to measure progress and document outcomes to be communicated to senior leadership, funders, and other stakeholders.
- Manage the development of reports to various audiences, including presentations and reports for the UnidosUS Board of Directors and leadership, the Affiliate Network, and other partners.
- Collaborate with Marketing and Communications to develop message frames, talking points, blogs, and other materials that energize Latino participation and elevate Latino issue priorities. Serve as a media spokesperson.
- Work with education policy senior managers to develop and monitor program budgets, making needed adjustments based on funding availability, and keeping operations within budget.
- Manage fundraising process to ensure the growth and sustainability of state education work, including developing concept papers, proposals, and reports, prospecting, and participating in relevant funder meetings.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree preferred.
- 5-7 years of relevant experience in issue advocacy campaigns.
- Knowledge of or experience working on education policy issues.
- Successful track record developing and executing high-impact campaigns, including federal- and state-level issue or advocacy campaigns.
- Project management skills, including strategy setting, budget development, monitoring, and reporting to various audiences.
Skills & Abilities
- Steadfast commitment to UnidosUS mission, vision, and values of Excellence, Accountability, Respeto.
- Commitment to U.S. Latino community, Latino nonprofit organizations, and the Latino market.
- Demonstrated experience working in nonprofits, community-based organizations, and diverse communities.
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
- Commitment to excellence and high standards.
- Ability to work independently and as a member of various teams and committees.
- Advanced proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite more specifically, Office 365.
- Acute attention to detail.
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) skills are strongly preferred.