UnidosUS is seeking a Senior Policy Analyst for its Education Policy Project. This position is housed in the Office of Policy and Advocacy and will report to the Senior Policy Advisor for Education Policy.
The Senior Policy Analyst will work to develop and drive a policy agenda that works to eliminate barriers to higher education, with a focus on issues related to postsecondary education, including the reauthorization of the Higher Education Act (HEA).
This position is responsible for identifying promising ideas to close equity gaps and making our nation’s higher education system truly equitable for Latino students by driving UnidosUS advocacy efforts and strategy. The Senior Policy Analyst will be responsible for the development of a bold set of targeted recommendations for federal and state policymakers to advance Latino college student success; ensuring that as they enter a higher education system that is committed to expanding access and opportunity—but also to providing meaningful degrees that lead to gainful employment and economic mobility—for all students, no matter their background or unique circumstances.
Success in this role requires creativity, initiative, critical thinking; strong interpersonal skills; solid writing and communications ability; and a deep commitment to advancing equity on behalf of vulnerable Latinos. The ideal candidate must be collaborative and work with colleagues in multiple internal disciplines, including Communications, Civic Engagement, and Legislative Affairs. This position is hybrid and based in our Washington D.C. headquarters.
- Develop and execute a project plan and agenda for advancing the policy priorities in the UnidosUS higher education policy agenda.
- Analyze emerging public policy issues and trends in higher education and produce policy documents, including issue briefs, regulatory comments, white papers, conference papers, testimony, and presentations using primary and secondary research sources.
- Serve as an UnidosUS expert on higher education policy, with a focus on policy solutions related to the reauthorization of the Higher Education Act, including affordability, access, retention, completion, and student debt.
- Represent UnidosUS in high-visibility forums, conferences, and meetings, including meetings with congressional staff, policymakers, issue experts, stakeholders, and the media.
- Lead and participate in coalitions of experts and advocates on higher education.
- Provide strategic recommendations, as appropriate, to UnidosUS leadership on issues related to higher education and student debt.
- Analyze social and economic policy ideas related to higher education independently and communicate their effect on the Latino community.
- Develop policy positions, internal memoranda, issue briefs, testimony, and short-form materials such as fact sheets and talking points.
- Conduct communications activities to build support for UnidosUS’s education priorities; provide consistent, timely updates to organizational networks and partners.
- Organize and execute policy forums, roundtables, and events to inform and elevate UnidosUS’s education policy work.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Requirements
- A Bachelor’s degree plus at least five years of policy analysis experience or a master’s degree is required.
- In-depth knowledge of policy analysis, with a demonstrated ability to analyze and develop new policy ideas, is required.
- Extensive and strong writing ability, including developing and drafting articles, studies, reports, regulatory comments, or other publicly available documents is required.
- Knowledge of education policy issues, including those related to higher education and student debt.
- Experience communicating policy ideas in public settings such as coalition meetings, congressional briefings, major conferences, and with the media.
- Experience conducting quantitative analysis and familiarity using Census data, IPEDS, or other data sets preferred.
- Outstanding project management skills suited to a dynamic work environment with multiple ongoing responsibilities, tight deadlines, and expectations for high-quality work.
- Displayed commitment to social justice and UnidosUS’s mission.
- Bilingual preferred (English and Spanish).
- Flexibility for occasional travel.