The Director of Affiliate Engagement (AE) oversees major aspects of UnidosUS’s relationships with its national Affiliate Network: membership and compliance; design and implementation of organizational capacity-building initiatives; and promotion of the UnidosUS/Affiliate Partnership.
The UnidosUS Affiliate network comprises approximately 300 nonprofit community-based organizations across the country providing direct services to Latino communities and families in education, health, workforce development, immigrant integration, and housing and financial empowerment. UnidosUS-Affiliate partnerships are at the core of achieving impact and advancing our mission.
The role of this position is to best align UnidosUS expertise and resources with Affiliate needs and opportunities to ensure strong UnidosUS/Affiliate relationships and facilitate partnerships that are strategic, timely, and driven by impact.
The Director will supervise a team of five FTEs based in different locations. The Director will support team members to strengthen their capacities to advance the goals and priorities of Affiliate Engagement. As part of our strategic direction, one focus area of this work will be external, including designing and implementing training, technical assistance opportunities for Affiliates (e.g., through national and regional convenings), and developing a nonprofit capacity-building program that supports organizational development across the network. Internally, the Director will also be responsible for leading the team to build and maintain relationships with UnidosUS’s components to keep abreast of current projects and to identify key opportunities for collaboration with Affiliates.
As Affiliates are part of all aspects of the organization’s work, the best candidate for this role is a collaborative leader who can connect dots, identify and act on opportunities, and provide strategic counsel to VP to integrate Affiliate presence throughout UnidosUS’s work. This position is hybrid and based in our Washington, D.C. headquarters
Location: Washington, D.C.
Management of Core AE Team (40%)
- Supervise and support staff that leads membership processes to
- Identify strategic expansion of the Affiliate Network
- Oversee research of and strategic outreach to potential Affiliates
- Manage membership compliance
- Supervise and support team in conducting regional communications and engagement with Affiliates to:
- Ensure meaningful engagement across the network
- Understand conditions on the ground faced by Affiliates
- Communicate timely important information and resources
- Oversee the collection, management, and distribution of Affiliate data to share with colleagues, the Affiliate network, and appropriate partners.
- Plan and lead regular team meetings to evaluate progress on annual goals and initiatives.
Capacity-Building Efforts for Affiliates (35%)
- Lead the team in the development of a nonprofit capacity-building program for Affiliates focused on organizational development and implementing new efforts in collaboration with colleagues across the organization and external partners.
- Lead the team in implementing a new leadership development program for Affiliate staff in collaboration with external partners.
- Lead the team in implementing the annual Affiliate of the Year Peer-Exchange Program.
- Lead the team in planning, executing, and following up for Annual Affiliate Convenings.
- Serve as the Affiliate Engagement liaison to several components around events, key programs and policy efforts, and special initiatives to ensure Affiliate Engagement efforts are aligned with insights gathered through other programmatic efforts across the organization.
Event Preparation, Planning, and Execution (10%)
- Collaborate with External Affairs leadership, Communications and Marketing Team, and Policy & Advocacy teams to ensure Affiliate priorities are considered in the content design for UnidosUS Signature Events, particularly events and activities where the primary audience is the Affiliate network.
- Lead collaboration with event planning and outreach teams for UnidosUS Signature Events (Annual Conference, Changemakers Summit, and Capital Awards) to ensure thoughtful and meaningful integration of Affiliate voice, expertise, presence, and stories aligned with the event and institutional goals and outcomes (e.g., outreach and registration, Affiliate Lounge, speaking roles in sessions, participation in meetings, award recognitions, and other onsite activities).
- Oversee Affiliate Engagement team role related to Annual Conference, including Affiliate outreach and registration, Affiliate Lounge, Affiliate awards and recognitions, Affiliate participation in workshops and closed meetings, Affiliate Leadership Breakfast program, and other onsite activities.
Administration and Operations (15%)
- Provide support to VP on administrative and strategic areas to facilitate execution of efforts, including planning, budget management, grant writing, and reporting.
- Support VP in coordination with the Affiliate Council, including planning and executing two meetings a year.
- Represent team and organization in external meetings, presentations, and working groups, as appropriate.
- Bachelor’s Degree is required.
- At least 12 years of experience in community nonprofit management, nonprofit leadership development, or other related nonprofit work with Latino communities.
- At least 8 years of supervisory experience.
- Demonstrated experience and knowledge of the U.S. Latino community.
- Commitment to UnidosUS values: Excellence, Accountability, Respeto.
- Experience developing training for community-based organizations.
- Experience managing and developing teams.
- Ability to manage a team across different locations and time zones.
- Excellent organizational skills, ability to coordinate simultaneously on multiple projects with a high degree of complexity, and attention to detail.
- Versatility, flexibility, and a willingness to work within constantly changing priorities with enthusiasm.
- Ability to effectively engage with internal and external partners.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Proven ability to handle multiple projects and meet deadlines.
- Ability to deal effectively with a range of individuals at all organizational levels.
- Ability to travel frequently for work-related meetings and events.
- Commitment to excellence and high standards.