Like many of you, the UnidosUS familia is very concerned about the impact of Hurricane Harvey, especially with millions of Latinos in the path of the storm’s destruction. Texas is also home to a number of our Affiliates, many of which are located in Houston.
Perhaps now more than ever, our Texas Affiliates, staff and board members who live there, and the impacted communities feel our support. To that end, we have compiled information and resources for those who would like to provide whatever kind of support they can. We urge you to share this information to support families in need.
- Real Time Map of Shelters that Do Not Inquire about Immigration Status via Red Cross
- How to Get and Offer Help During a Hurricane via Texas Tribune
- The Latest on Hurricane Harvey and How You Can Help via PBS
- How to Prepare for Emergencies via Red Cross
Direct Support to Affiliates
Consider directing your support to our Texas Affiliates. Below is a list of UnidosUS Affiliates in the affected areas and how to donate:
Gulf Coast Council of La Raza, Inc.
American Latino Center for Research, Education & Justice (ALCREJ)
Support to Additional Organizations
- Aid organizations are asking for cash donations, rather than supplies, including the American Red Cross, Catholic Charities USA, and Salvation Army. Charity Navigator lists more groups.
- The Houston Food Bank, Galveston County Food Bank, and Corpus Christi Food Bank also are asking for cash or donations.
- The South Texas Blood and Tissue Center is seeking blood donations.
Thank you for showing your concern for the millions who will be dealing with the storm’s aftermath for months, possibly years, to come. We know you join us in supporting the families experiencing the effects of this catastrophic storm as they cope with what comes next.