During a recent House Education and Workforce Committee hearing, Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos implied that schools and teachers have the right to report undocumented children to ICE—which violates the U.S. Constitution.
Nearly 36 years ago, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled in Plyler v. Doe that all children—regardless of immigration status—are entitled to equal access to a free public education.
Below are resources for parents and teachers looking to better equip themselves with the knowledge they need to protect the rights of immigrant children who attend schools across the country.
- AFT Immigration Page (Parent and Teacher Resource)
- AFT Educational Rights
- United We Dream K-12 Toolkit
- CLASP Our Children’s Fear: Immigration Policy’s Effects on Young Children (in Spanish)
- CLASP Sensitive Places Fact Sheet (in Spanish)
- UnidosUS Senior Immigration Policy Advisor Carlos Guevara and Senior Education Policy Advisor Loren Trull answer questions about the connections between the DACA program and our nation’s students and schools. View the video below or read the FAQ on the UnidosUS website.